To present new features and announcements to users, we need to identify them uniquely and categorize them by segmenting the pool of all users to specific User Groups. To achieve this, Apty offers a feature that helps identifying users based on different strategies. The user identification is performed every time a user visits the application page and for every HTML change happening on the background.
Different options for user identification are present in the Manage Current Application page of the Apty Admin Console.
As per Version 4.x a Custom option is introduced, which is explained further below.
To provide unique user identifiers:
2. Go to Admin Console > on the left side panel select an application to work with > at the top of the application menu click the Gear icon >Custom JS
3. Custom JS is a field which gives more freedom for manipulating screen elements, defining new variables and custom solutions for specific use cases. For the purpose of identifying unique users, provide a code snippet returning a JSON object with key-value pairs that represent user attributes, such as:
4. Go to User Identification tab.
5. In the Identify users by drop-down list select "Custom".
6. In the Identification Key field type in one of the keys defined in the code snippet returning a JSON object provided in step 3.
7. Save the changes made.
Configuring this feature requires knowledge of the basic functioning of Documents, Window object and working of browser memory.
The identification of users based on their user ID helps to present Onboarding procedures and Announcements to users when the Client is loaded on the hosting application.